The Green Home Deal
At the beginning of October 2020 the government launched a new scheme called The Green Homes grant which gives homeowners in England vouchers to help cover the cost of energy efficiency improvements to their property. This applies to owner occupied properties and also any rental properties.
To qualify for any financial support you must instal at least one PRIMARY improvement:
- Insulation, including solid wall, cavity wall, underfloor, loft or roof insulation. Insulation for a park home is also included.
- Low-carbon heating, including air-source, ground-source and hybrid heat pumps, solar thermal systems and biomass boilers, which provide renewable ways of heating your home.
If you’re installing at least one of the primary improvements above, you’ll also be able to use the vouchers to install “secondary” measures to the same amount.
SECONDARY improvements include:
- Double or triple glazing, or secondary glazing, but only if you currently have single glazing – it won’t cover replacement double glazing.
- Energy efficient doors, where you’re replacing single-glazed or solid doors installed before 2002.
- Heating controls and insulation, including appliance thermostats, hot water tank thermostats, hot water tank insulation, smart-heating controls, zone controls, delayed-start thermostats and thermostatic radiator valves.
Importantly you can only receive the same amount for the secondary improvement as the primary. For example if you spent £1000 on cavity wall insulation (a primary improvement) you could claim £1000 towards any secondary measures. This grant is only available until March 2021.
The primary work has to be completed before the secondary work can commence and also the work must be carried out by a TrustMark-registered installer who is also registered for the scheme. Your installer will also need to meet PAS and MCS standards when installing your measures.
Please follow this link for more details: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-for-the-green-homes-grant-scheme#available-measures